If you were a passenger in a car accident and require financial compensation for your injuries, follow along to learn how a proficient Kaufman County, Texas car accident lawyer at Harrell & Paulson, LLP can fight for your rights.
What damages can I recover as a passenger in a car accident?
As an innocent passenger in a car accident, you hold the same rights as the innocent driver. That is, you are eligible to hold the negligent party accountable and recover both economic and non-economic damages that you incurred from the accident. Such economic damages include current and future medical bills, lost wages, medical equipment, and outside assistance; such non-economic damages include emotional distress, pain and suffering, and loss of independence, among others.
If you have a relationship with the host driver, such as they are a friend or family member, you may feel uncomfortable with filing a personal injury lawsuit. However, a common misconception is that your suing will directly impact their personal finances. Rather, you are actually suing their insurance company. So, regardless of your relationship, you should not hesitate in recovering damages if you are experiencing the following physical, emotional, and/or financial burdens:
- You are suffering long-term injuries.
- You are receiving hefty medical bills for your injuries, and expect to receive more for future treatments.
- You are experiencing lost wages due to your injuries for days, weeks, months, or even years.
- You are experiencing emotional distress or pain and suffering due to your injuries.
As a passenger, what should I do before filing a personal injury claim?
Before undergoing the personal injury claim process, you should first submit a claim to the negligent driver’s insurance company. Only when the insurer does not offer a justifiable settlement that covers all of your injuries should you look into filing a lawsuit. This is when a talented Kaufman, Texas personal injury attorney will step in.
As a passenger, what steps should I follow for filing a claim?
Like in any personal injury case, you will need to satisfy the burden of proof that there is a direct correlation between your injuries and damages to the car accident. It is in your best interest to follow the below steps:
- Call 911. Law enforcement officers will arrive to conduct a report and call medical attention.
- Once they are on the scene, seek medical treatment as immediately as possible.
- Collect the contact information of all parties involved. This includes their name, phone number, driver’s license number, and insurance company information. Also exchange this with witnesses.
- Take photos and videos of the scene to document all injuries and other damages. Also exchange this with witnesses.
- Collect all medical documents, medical bills, and other expense receipts that are related to your injuries and damages.
- Retain the services of one of the dedicated Kaufman, Texas lawyers.
Contact Our Kaufman County Firm Today
For vigorous defenses for personal injury, criminal, divorce, or estate planning matters, contact Harrell & Paulson, LLP today to schedule your free case evaluation.