Can I Appeal a Texas Workers’ Compensation Award?

Harrell & Paulson

When you’re injured or fall sick from workplace conditions, it can cause extreme financial stress. The uncertainty of when you’ll return to work is looming, and doctor’s bills are piling up. Luckily, you may be able to apply for a workers’ compensation award to help you stay afloat until you’re back on your feet. However, if this is denied or the funds are insufficient, you may experience no financial relief whatsoever. Keep reading to learn more about what you can do in this situation and how a Kaufman County, Texas work injury lawyer can help you navigate these stressful times.

What Is a Workers’ Compensation Award?

Workers’ compensation is a type of insurance employers carry to help cover expenses if a worker becomes sick or injured on the job. It is essential to note that Texas does not require eligible employers to offer this insurance, so you’ll need to check with your employer to ensure they provide workers’ compensation before filing a claim.

Many assume workplace injuries only affect those who work on construction sites or manual labor jobs. However, injury and illness can occur in any place of work. For example, an employee who works a desk job may become ill if there is mold in the air vents. Workers’ compensation will cover their medical bills and a portion of their wages until they can return.

However, there are reasons that a claim may be denied immediately. If horseplay, intoxication, criminal activity, negligence, or other unlawful actions lead to your injury, you will not receive compensation.

What Should I Do if My Claim is Denied?

In some unfortunate instances, the claim may be denied or the funds you receive may be insufficient. If this is the case, you have options. The most common reason workers’ compensation applications are denied is typically due to errors on the forms. Forgetting to supply medical records, failing to fill out a necessary section, or accidentally writing the wrong information can lead to the denial of funds. Luckily, these are relatively simple to fix.

However, if your claim is insufficient, you’ll want to reach out to a personal injury attorney as soon as possible to help you explore your legal options. You may be able to file a suit against a third party to help cover damages. For example, if injured due to the conditions of the property, you may be eligible to file a claim against the property owner.

At Harrell & Paulson, our dedicated legal team will do everything possible to help keep you on your feet following a workplace injury. Contact us today to learn more about what we can do to help you achieve the best possible outcome for your unique circumstances.