Truck accidents are devastating and often have deadly outcomes. Standard motor vehicles stand little chance against the size and weight of commercial trucks, and those involved in these accidents frequently sustain very serious injuries. If you’re one of them, you need a Kaufman County, Texas truck accident lawyer you can depend on. Contact Harrell & Paulson, LLP today.
Truck Accident Lawyer in Kaufman County, Texas
Truck accidents are far from uncommon here in Texas. In fact, in 2020, there were over 30,000 commercial truck accidents. In those accidents, over 500 people lost their lives. This is unacceptable. If you were harmed in a truck accident that wasn’t your fault, you most likely qualify for compensation. A Kaufman, Texas personal injury attorney can help you fight for this compensation today.
Causes of Truck Accidents
Like most accidents, truck accidents are caused by negligence. However, commercial trucks come with a unique set of risks. For example, the size and weight of commercial trucks make them harder to maneuver. Additionally, truck drivers face an enormous amount of pressure to hit all of their deadlines on time, which sometimes requires them to drive into the late hours of the night, causing fatigue. Just some of the most common causes of truck accidents we see are as follows:
- Driving while under the influence: Truck drivers will sometimes take certain illegal substances to help combat fatigue, but any drug impairs a motorist’s ability to drive. In some cases, truck drivers will also operate their vehicles while under the influence of alcohol.
- Speeding: As previously mentioned, truck drivers have deadlines to meet. If they’re running behind, it’s not uncommon for them to speed to try and make up time. Additionally, traveling at unsafe speeds becomes even more dangerous with high winds, as this can destabilize a truck’s center of gravity and cause it to topple over.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is the leading cause of all auto accidents here in the United States, and truck drivers are sometimes guilty of doing this as well. Whether it’s looking at a GPS, using a cellular device, or otherwise, distracted driving frequently leads to serious accidents.
- Inexperience: As previously mentioned, maneuvering an 18-wheeler is far more complicated than maneuvering a sedan. Inexperienced truck drivers, or even sometimes experienced ones, will miscalculate and cause an accident.
- Negligent truck employees: Sometimes, truck accidents aren’t caused by truck drivers at all. For example, if truck company employees improperly load a truck with merchandise, the truck is at a far greater risk of toppling over from the start.
These are just some of the most common causes of truck accidents. Regardless of the circumstances of your accident, if it wasn’t your fault and you’ve been seriously injured, you should bring your claim to the attention of a Kaufman County, Texas truck accident lawyer from Harrell & Paulson, LLP as soon as you can.
Gathering Evidence & Filing Your Claim
After an accident, if you’re physically capable of doing so, you should try to gather evidence about the facts of your accident. If you can, try to do the following:
- Call emergency medical services to the scene.
- Take pictures of the damage caused by the accident.
- Get the truck driver’s insurance information.
- Ask witnesses for their contact information.
- Seek medical treatment and keep copies of all documentation associated with your injuries.
- Hire an experienced truck accident lawyer who can fight for your right to heal. Ensure you do so within the state’s statute of limitations, which, in most cases, is two years. Waiting longer than two years to file your claim will typically result in you losing your right to sue.
Contact an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer Today
If you’ve been involved in an accident with a commercial vehicle and need competent and aggressive legal representation in your corner, you’ve come to the right place. Contact Harrell & Paulson, LLP today to schedule your initial consultation with our firm.